Saturday, September 12, 2009

Rethinking our plans

Well our plan went to pot too.

I think partly cos it is too much for them both to do all the english in 1 day. They liked doing the maths in a block and history in a block. Josh was particularly keen last night to discuss our plans and has decided that he actually does like GP Junior English and he says he prefers it to the Bond No Nonsense English. We will carry on with the Bond English but just do one lesson a week from it and see how we get on. He also wants to do the same with the maths as he has now decided he loves GP maths too!!

I think I need to follow some tips a friend got from Galore Park and not try to do everything in the books which I think is why we have failed before. If they know how to do something then it is pointless making them do it just for the sake of it but then spend longer and do extra practice of things they don't understand eg Fractions - bring in other resources too such as Life of Fred, Schofield & Sims Fractions.

I will split the english exercises up if necessary too. I am thinking 30-40 mins of maths, 1 hour of english (including spelling, grammar, copywork and allowing for slow writing) and 1.5 - 2 hours of other subjects a day (excluding breaks). Done over 4 days with Fridays for swimming and catch up. Not sure if this is enough or too much. I suppose time will tell.

So our new plan for next week will look something like this:

Monday - Maths (40 mins), Daily Read-Aloud (20 mins), English (1 hour), R.E (20 mins), Science (30 mins), Reading time (20 mins), French (20 mins), Narnia Study (30 mins).

Tuesday - Maths (40 mins), Daily Read-Aloud (20 mins), English (1 hour), Reading Time (20 mins), History (40 mins), ICT (30 mins), Free Choice (30 mins).

Wednesday - Maths (40 mins), Daily Read-Aloud (20 mins), English (1 hour), Reading Time (20 mins), Geography (30 mins), Science (30 mins), Art (40 mins)

Thursday - Maths (40 mins), Daily Read-Aloud (20 mins), English (40 mins), Reading Time (20 mins), History (40 mins), French (20 mins), Music (30 mins), Narnia Study (30 mins)

Friday - Swimming, Catch up.

Will see how it goes anyway and give it a bash. I need to spend the weekend getting more organised I think.

I think I managed not to overplan and we did get quite a bit done considering we really only had 2 good days to work this week. Monday was spent with me shopping for a new car, Tuesday we went to Preston and Friday we went Swimming and had a friend round then I had to nip to town as I hate going at weekends.

I planned the work for the week and found that worked better than planning the work on a daily basis so I will plan for a week this week but then I have an idea of how long I want to spend on each subject in a day. If we get finished quicker than great but if not then we will catch up on a Friday or I can adjust my plans depending on the reason for us not getting the work done.

2 comments:

Jax said...

Hi Emma

I'm just over 31 weeks now, and I'm raving about the physio. If yours is anything like mine was, go sooner than later, really wish I'd gone weeks ago when I started to get niggles. Back feels so much better now!

vicki said...

I think that sounds like a fairly intensive education for the kids.. after all they are reading to do the other subjects anyway.. and you use English in History, etc. Do you not do any learning outside of the "lesson times"?