Friday, January 9, 2009

Weekly Wrap Up: 1st week back


We've got off to a great start on our first week back and I am really pleased with how it went. The kids seemed to have enjoyed it too. Its been good to get back down to homeschooling after not doing much since the start of November.

My planning seems to have worked much better too. I used to plan what I wanted to cover each day and I always ended up feeling like we were behind but this week I gave it a try just doing weekly planning and not breaking it up into seperate days. We just decided on the day depending on how things were going whether we did a little or a lot. This has worked out great as we have had a busy week anyway with the funeral of a dear friend on Monday and then an appointment on Tuesday that took most of the morning.

We used to do all our work in the mornings but this week we've managed to get quite a lot done in the afternoons. We managed to complete my list for the week and much more. Normally I completely overschedule us but I took a cautious approach to planning this week and it has paid off in that I haven't felt under pressure on our first week back as I knew it would be a busy week anyway. Next week I will probably add a little more to our weekly plan but will be careful still not to add too much extra.

The kids have both surprised me with how much their reading has improved in the last couple of months. I am really pleased with both their progress. J has even taken over from me a few times reading Five Children and It which I thought might have been a little too hard for him but he is managing fine.

This was what we got done this week:

J Maths: CGP Yr 4 Classbook B p16 - 17 (p38); p18 - 19 (p39); p20 - 21 (p40); p22 (p41); p23 (p42)
J English: GP Junior English 1: Chapter 2 Ex 2.1; Ex 2.2
E Maths: Number Book 5 p3, 4, 5, 6, 7
E English: Early Comprehension 3 p3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Grammar: First Language Lessons 3: Lesson 9
Oxford Children's Bible: The Tower of Babel; Abraham, Father of all Nations
Literature Read-Aloud: Five Children & It Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5
History: UILE p114 - 117; SOTW ch 2a, 4a, 2b; SOTW related activity pages; GP Junior History Ch 5 pg 36 - 40; Horrible Histories Awesome Egyptians; Stories from Ancient Egypt.
Geography: Trail Guide to World History Week 1
Science: GP Junior Science 1: Chapter 1 Ex 1.1, 1.2, 1.3; The Story of Science Ch 1, Ch 2
Reader: MTH Mummies in the Morning; I Wonder Why Pyramids Were Built

They also did a few extra bits that I hadn't planned on doing too. They both did extra Mental Arithmetic, made cornflake cakes, a couple of extra pages of English worksheets along with lots of playing on the wii.

I am looking forward to next week as J's new maths book, Galore Park Junior Maths 2, arrived today and it is much better than the CGP books we've been using and there is more of an explanation and more practice of each concept. I have looked through it a little and I'm sure he will whizz through it and get a better grasp of each topic. If he goes on ok with it then I will get book 1 for E to use from September.

Hopefully the good weeks will continue. Thanks to Kris at Weird Unsocialised Homeschoolers for hosting the Weekly Wrap Up where you could read what other homeschoolers have been upto this week.

4 comments:

Catherine said...

Sounds like a good week. Isn't it nice to have good weeks like this?

Anonymous said...

I'm glad the week went so well. I can completely relate to being glad to be back to a regular schedule. It was nice being off, but routine is very comforting...and I get more done.

Hope next week goes just as well.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a great week. Thank you for sharing the links. I'm going to check out the Junior Maths one. I'm looking for a future math curriculum for my little guy. :)

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a great week. We were still massively lethargic here so didn't get much done - but looking forward to getting back into some kind of routine on Monday!