Sorry its taken me so long to update this. I have been really tired this week and had tons to organise with Ellie turning 7 last Friday and her party at the zoo!!
Josh went away on cub camp on Friday afternoon and came back last night. He had a great time and really enjoyed himself but he says he missed us lots. He did archery, rock climbing and canoeing and loved it.
He is still not sure what he wants to do about school. They are due to go back a week today (8th June) and on his first day back his class are going to the local high school for the day to sample lessons and life there. He is quite keen to go to that to see what its like but then he worries about the main bully picking on him again. It has also emerged that he has been deliberately pushed into puddles. I am worried about it and am torn over what to do for the best. I feel it has to be his decision to come out of there and I do think he is leaning towards coming out at the moment. But then he will decide to give it one more go and see what happens when he goes back.
Last night he said he wanted to be home educated again but I am not getting my hopes up about him sticking to that decision as he is changing his mind a lot at the moment. He says he likes school its just this bully who is ruining it for him.
We have spoke to a couple of families this half term whose children went to the school and were bullied and the headteacher did nothing. The bullying continued and got worse as the bullies could get away with it. In one case the child ended up being signed off school by her doctor with Clinical Depression and has eventually changed schools. She was in Josh's class and we think that Josh actually had her place after she left. I have no faith whatsoever in the school sorting things out now.
I think he will come out whether he goes back after half term for a day or two or not. If he does come out then I want to spend the summer doing lots of outdoor stuff and maybe visiting museums and RSPB in Leighton Moss as he loves looking at different birds. I do think that if he comes out then Ellie will choose to do so too but I think she may stay for the rest of the Summer term and then not go back in September. It would be great to have them both home again as I have really enjoyed having them here in the day again during half term.
Deca Durabolin
4 years ago






4 comments:
Gosh you get a long half term!
It must be so difficult for Josh to make up his mind in this situation. I can see wanting to go for the taster day at the very least and I can also see him not wanting to come back out for what must feel like a negative reason.
I hope you manage to work it out together.
ps happy birthday to Ellie :)
I feel terrible that your son is going through this. We went through a similar thing when my dd was in the second grade. The only advice I can give you is that Josh is going to have to confront the problem head on if he wants to stay in school. I was bullied (due to my short stature)when I was in the 4th grade, and it finally became so bad that the bully surrounded me with her friends and attempted to beat me up, well, when backed into a corner, I decided to come out swinging (with my lunchbox ;-) ) and after I confronted her, she left me alone. We actually became good friends. Bullies will test you because usually they are the ones with the self-esteem problems so they pick on those weaker to make themselves feel better. When you confront the bully and show them you refuse to be their victim, they'll leave you alone. This is the advice of a crazy American, but all through life our children will come up against bullies; we have to teach them to handle conflict (preferably without violence) because we can't shield them forever. That said, if Josh wants to come home, let him and try in high school (new school, different children, maybe a better situation.)
Michelle
http://worldofdicovery.blogspot.com/
Well you know me lol. I don't think school is worth it to get bullied to go and it is much harder to deal with bullies in school then almost anywhere else in life cos J is a child and the adults in charge and responsible for im in school are doing nothing - not even mediation. My son ended up on anti D's very quickly cos of bullies. Even aged 19 and out of school since he was 11 he is still emotionally fragile. It isn't worth the risk.
Post a Comment