Friday, June 5, 2009

Looking forward to Home Ed again!!

I am so looking forward to getting back into Home Edding again. Josh seems really keen and enthusiastic too so I am really pleased.

He used to really enjoy the literature read-alouds we did so am hoping to make time to do some of those each day. It seemed before like our whole day would get took up with English and Maths so am now thinking of doing them on alternate days with maybe 3 or 4 other bits thrown in and more project work too as there are lots of topics that he wants to learn more about too.

I am also pondering on whether to order Sonlight Core 2. We have Core 1 which we did for a little while but haven't done much since we came back from Cyprus. I might see how we get on with doing that over the next few weeks as I know he enjoyed some of the readalouds from it. If we did Core 2 from September then the following September we could spend 2 years doing British History or I could mix it all in so we would be doing it all in chronological order. I suppose I am a bit of a control freak like that and like to do things in order.

Josh wants to do some more work on Egypt which I felt we had done to death but as he seems really keen to do more on it I have taken some book recommendations from a forum I am on and there is a DK workbook on Egypt that I think he would enjoy and even better is that he could probably work through it independently.

I think Ellie will be following him out shortly too. Part of me worries that if he isn't there to be picked on then the bully will turn on her too. She has made lots of friends and seems to love going but now she knows Josh is coming out she is wavering over whether to stay or not. She is going to go on Monday and see how she feels. Tbh it will be much easier for me if she came out as it is a lot of travelling each day to take her and pick her up and I haven't been well lately so it will be interesting to see how we manage that over the next few months.

Yesterday I took Josh to the doctors as he is constantly walking on his tip toes. He never walks 'properly' for more than 15 seconds at a time and he is complaining increasingly that it hurts him to do so. He has done it for a long time and I never really gave it much thought I just thought he did it out of habit and would eventually grow out of it but my mother persuaded me to take him to the doctors and the doctor said that his achilles tendons are both very tight on the back of each leg and that is why it causes him pain to walk properly. Also his left big toe is starting to turn inwards towards the other toes so it needs sorting soon as it is putting a lot of strain on his toes and could lead to his foot becoming deformed. He is also a little flat footed. He is referring us to an orthopedic paediatrician at the hospital for them to take a look.

I scared myself last night looking at the treatment for it. Sometimes having access to the internet and being able to google things is not a good thing!! If it is down to his achilles tendons being too tight then it seems there are 3 options. 1 is stretching exercises supervised by a physio (but the doctor today ruled out physio as they are very tight and he didn't think it would help!). Another is 'serial' casting whereby they put on a new cast every week from below the knee to stretch the tendons (doesn't sound at all pleasant!) or the third one is a small surgery to lengthen the tendon and then in plaster for 3-4 weeks (Would hate him to have to have surgery!)

I hope we get an appointment through soon so we know where we are heading and fingers crossed it can be resolved quickly and easily.

Right had better stop scaring myself and get on with the housework.

1 comment:

Jax said...

google diagnosis are very dodgy aren't they? In some cases it really is best to wait and see.

Glad you are looking forward to getting on with your home ed again :)