Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Josh will be Home Ed!!

I've had a good talk with Josh this afternoon and he has decided that he definitely does not want to go back to school next Monday. I did think he might have wanted to go on the first day back at school as his class are going to high school for the day but he has decided he is done with it.

I am quite proud of him for making the decision on his own. I have been careful not to influence him at all as I wanted it to be his decision to come out.

I am now sorting through all our books to see what we shall cover in the next few weeks. Now it is Summer I want to spend more time outdoors. Josh is mad on bugs and butterflies so I will order some kits from insectlore where you get caterpillars and watch them develop into butterflies and also the ladybird kit too.

I want to get him working much more independently too. Now he is 10 I think it would be good for him to get on with things on his own with support whenever he needs it.

Ellie is not sure what she wants to do. I have said it is up to her and she has made lots of friends at school but I know she will miss Josh. She says she will go on Monday and see what she thinks.

I've been glad that they have 2 weeks off for half term instead of the usual one. Its given Josh much more time to think through what he wants to do. Its also given me a nice rest too. If Ellie comes out too I certainly won't miss those 1 hour 30 minute round trip bus rides twice a day to take them to school and bring them home again!!

We only had a visit from our LEA at the beginning of March and the time they said that was fine for a year. I am sure the school will inform them once I hand the deregistration letter in but I really don't want to have to deal with them at the moment especially so soon after our last visit. Would they accept the last visit ok or would they me to send in a new report or expect to visit again? The home ed co-ordinator seemed ok when we dealt with her in March and gave us a lovely report but I would so like to just pull him out and not have to worry about dealing with them yet.

2 comments:

Mrs. Darling said...

Glad you came to a decision that both you and he could feel comfortable with. I think he made a smart choice! :)

kelly said...

I can sympathise with what you have been through, as I sent one of my children to school for half a term knowing each and every day that they hated it, but we both agreed to give it until half term to reach a decision.

Welcome back :)