Thursday, July 9, 2009

Josh is in plaster!!

Thanks for all your congratulations on the pregnancy. I have my dating scan next Wednesday and we can't wait!!

Josh had his hospital appointment yesterday morning about his feet. He's been walking on his tip toes for quite some time and about 2 months ago began to complain that it hurt him to walk. We thought it was just out of habit but took him to the doctor's who thought it was his achilles tendons as he thought they seemed really tight so he referred us to the hospital and yesterday was d-day!!

After a long wait we were finally called in and the consultant was very good and thorough and said it wasn't the achilles tendon but his heel that is causing the problems. It appears his heels are not attached properly to his feet and that it is common for it to show up at this age (10). The treatment for it is rest and he now has both legs in plaster from below the knee with the plaster set so it was impossible for him to walk on his toes and has forced his feet into a more natural position. He must have been the only person to walk into the clinic normally and go out with both legs in plaster and on crutches.

Thankfully he is pain free at least but trying to get him to rest is hard work. He constantly wants to get up and walk around as he is a natural fidget. He has crutches but manages round the house without them ok. We are hiring him a child's wheelchair later so we can still get out and about as he has a trip to the zoo planned with cubs on Saturday and there is no way he could walk round the zoo all day with his crutches so me and Ellie are going too to push him round. He is becoming a master at going up and downstairs on his bum. I really wish we had a downstairs loo but we just haven't got the room for one really.

I have decided to leave off doing much work with him for now as he was quite upset yesterday about having to have the plaster on. I am hoping though that boredom will cause him to pick up some books and do some more reading. He is currently working his way through the power rangers shows on BT Vision and has played on the Wii sat down but am sure he will get bored soon enough.

Unfortunately I have to drag Josh along on the bus with me later to fetch Ellie from school after an argument with my dad this morning. He offers to take us places, I give him petrol money and now he is moaning about all the running around he does. If he feels like that he can stick it. I hardly ever ask him for a lift he offers and I always give him something for petrol. I asked him to take me to pick up Josh's wheelchair in town this afternoon and he was really moody and starting moaning at me how he is sick of it so I told him fine don't bother, I'll fetch Ellie from school and then we'll get off the bus in town and fetch Josh's wheelchair and wheel him home in it. I know its a stupid argument and am sure we will make up again soon. Its probably a mixture of my pregnant hormones turning me into a cry baby and his moodswings as on Saturday he quit smoking after being a heavy smoker for the last 50 years or more.

I've told dh we desperately have to buy a car soon. He keeps promising we will but so far we haven't got round to it. We have to have one by September as if Ellie stays in school it is a 2 hour trip each morning and again each afternoon to fetch her and bring her home again as the buses don't run very often and that will be a real pain and its really wearying. If we had a car its 10 mins each way and straight road all the way but the buses go all the way round.

Sorry this has turned into a bit of a moany post and it wasn't meant to be. Will post again when I have cheered up a bit more.

1 comment:

Jax said...

think the occasional moan completely understandable - poor Josh! Does it hurt having his feet in a different position then? How long is the plaster for?