Thursday, July 23, 2009

LEA want to visit again!!!

I've just received a letter from the LEA stating 'I would like to meet with you and Joshua to discuss his home education, review work progress since the last visit. I am able to meet with you at your home on Monday 7 September 2009 at 9.30am.'

It's from the same lady that visited us last time and gave us a really good report. I am really worried about it though as Josh started school on 27th April. We had a visit from the LEA on 9th March then we carried on working til Easter hols and took time off like the schools during which Josh decided to go to school.

Then Josh came out on 8th June but since he has been out he hasn't done any work you can measure. He has done lots online on BBC KS2 Bitesize and those sort of online activities but I have no written 'proof' of learning. I am really worried as it states in the letter they want to review his work progress since the last visit. We've got about 3 weeks work max from March that we could show.

Also I really don't want another home visit now. I know that I don't have to have one but am worried if I say no they will turn round and start hassling us which I don't need right now either.

The woman seemed friendly enough last time but I don't want her judging us just because I have very little paper 'proof'. I am now feeling pressured to do much more work than I wanted over the Summer to 'prove' Josh is learning.

Also Ellie is not going back to school in September but the school and LEA do not know this yet as I haven't officially withdrawn her yet. I plan to send a letter by registered delivery at the beginning of term withdrawing her.

Just phoned dh and told him and he couldn't believe they want to do another visit yet either. I really can't see the point of the visit. Our plans are pretty much the same and we will be picking up from where we left off before he went to school but we are obviously behind where he would have been had he not gone to school.

What should I do?

2 comments:

Posh Totty said...

I would just explain to the lady who visits what you have been doing and hopefully she will understand why you don't have much on paper to show her.

I find it quite shocking that you have had 2 visits so close, I have been homeschooling for over 2 years now and in that time I have only ever had one visit and that was right at the start, Iv not heard a thing from them since.

Jax said...

I think you should be asking her why she feels she needs to visit so close to her last one, and that you do not feel that it is an appropriate time as you are making adjustments following a period of schooling.

I don't think you should worry too much about paper proof - that is not the only evidence of learning, and certainly not that you/ he are behind on a plan.