Friday, October 31, 2008

Weekly Wrap Up 5

Thanks to Kris at Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers for hosting the Weekly Wrap Up.

This week has been a much more pleasant and relaxed week than last week. I ripped up my schedule of work I had planned and decided to give child-led learning a go and see how we got on.

It has been a lovely week and I feel like we got lots done still. Probably more than if I had scheduled it for us as we have all been much more relaxed about things. There has been lots of autonomous learning going on.

The kids have been doing lots of nature study in particular and love spending time outside in the garden bug hunting. I just wish they wouldn't bring them inside to show me all the time. I'm so not a bug lover lol. I am loving seeing their eyes light up with excitement each time they discover something new. See my post here about our unexpected learning experience at 7am on Tuesday Morning.

Some of what we have done looks similar to what I would have had on my weekly plan anyway but the kids chose to do it when they wanted to. I was pleased that they wanted to do some of the things we do normally as it showed that they enjoyed them.

They have still enjoyed maths and reading aloud together. We finally finished Charlotte's Web this week and Ellie was a little upset that Charlotte died but they both enjoyed watching the movie afterwards. We have started 'The Borrowers' which the kids are loving. Last night I couldn't find my car keys before going out and J said that the Borrowers must have taken it as they like taking things from us 'Human Beans'.

We've all had lots of fun this week making snowflakes on this website. Here are a couple of snowflakes we have made.





Last night the kids were in the Halloween show at the hotel. They love being in the shows each week and I think they will miss it when we are back in England. I managed to get some lovely pictures of them (once I'd deleted the 40 or so pictures of bugs they had took this week so I had some space on my memory!!) so will leave you with them.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! What an encouraging post! It sounds like you all had a wonderful week. It makes me want to give unschooling another shot.

Love the pictures of your beautiful kiddos.

jeannie said...

I like the idea of child lead. Ummm, something to think about.
Sounds as if you had an really good week.:)