Wednesday, November 19, 2008

J wants to try school!! Argh!!

J has just dropped a bombshell in that he says he really wants to go to school.

He says he misses not having any friends. I have told him that as we have only been back in England less than a week he needs to give it a chance. He has just started cubs and I said he needs to give it a chance to make some friends.

I am quite gutted and it doesn't help that he said it in front of my mother and she is now doing her best to encourage him to give it a go. I have told him to sleep on it and see how he feels in the morning.

If he wants to go still then I suppose he could try it for a month and we could always take him out at christmas. I love having him at home though and seeing how close him and E are but I understand that he wants friends.

I am also worried with how he would cope back in school. He doesn't do much writing at home as it is something he struggles with and I am considering getting him tested in the new year. He seems to have good days and bad days with his reading and writing. Some days are brill other days I feel like I am banging my head against a brick wall.

E has said she never wants to go to school so I would still have her at home. I am so torn over what to do if he says he definitely wants to go. I didn't want to make ourselves known to the LEA (Local Education Authority) just yet as all our books and stuff are still packed up.

I really don't know what to do. I have always said in the past that if he wanted to try school again then I wouldn't stop him but I want to make sure he understands what it means if he goes ie early to bed at night, homework, early mornings etc. Then I feel terrible as he is such a sociable little boy who is yearning for some friends. I just don't know what to do. It doesn't help that my mother is now interfering too as he said it in front of her. She said I should phone up in the morning and get him in by Monday. I don't know though. I guess I shall just have to have a good chat with him tonight and tomorrow and see what he wants to do.

I am trying to let it be his decision and not influence him if possible but make sure that he knows all the pros and cons involved.

2 comments:

Posh Totty said...

Ouch!! I can really understand how hard this must be for you, I dread the day my lil man says that to me.

For what its worth I think you are doing the right thing making sure he knows all the pros and cons and then letting him have the final decision, I think in your situation I would do the same thing too.

Good luck with everything darling, I hope whatever the outcome it works out for the best Xxx

Anonymous said...

Are there no local HE groups you can get him to? Or at least join a local email list and appeal for some family meet ups to get to know other families with children his age?

How difficult for you! My DD1 wanted to start school when she was first old enough to, and I was really reluctant because I wanted to HE and I wanted to stay under the radar - in the end she changed her mind when she realised that myself and her sister couldn't go with her! I sense it's not so easy with your DS though!